5 Running Must-Haves to Make Your Urban Adventure a Success
Jason Fitzgerald, author of Strength Running PR Guide, says often people anticipating running events will over-provision themselves. For example, his friend spent $250 on a Garmin GPS she believed would help her during a 5K. On race day, she spent as much time fiddling with her GPS and fretting about inconsistencies as she did pumping her legs.
If you are not a daily or frequent runner, there are five basic necessities you will need for your upcoming urban adventure:
- The Perfect Shoe – The right shoes will encourage you to walk and run more, not less.
- Good Socks – You need a good, synthetic fiber, not cotton, that will “wick” moisture in your feet. Runner’s World recommends CoolMax®.
- Inserts – If you wear inserts for a better fit in your shoes every day, you need them in your running shoes too! Makes sense, right?
- Running Watch – For staying on pace, hitting your personal best and keeping track of time, distance, and calories burned a running watch is an excellent choice.
- Clothing – Be sure not to overdress. Once you get warmed up, your body heat will make you feel like it’s as much as 20º warmer than it is. T-shirts and shorts are fine for your urban adventure. If you are serious about running, investing in some synthetic fabrics like CoolMax or Dri-Fit® will provide additional comfort.
Image: Oyster Racing Series